Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Amateur Movie Review - I Am Legend


This weekend the holiest of the Catholic holidays; my husband and I decided to watch a vampire and a zombie movie. What is up with that???

Anyway, the zombie movie was the Will Smith version of Vincent Price's, Last Man on Earth, I Am Legend. It was relatively good for me. My husband didn’t like it although he didn’t fall asleep so how bad could it be?

I liked it a lot. I compared it to Castaway with Tom Hanks in that a big part of the movie played up the loneliness and loss of this one person who has survived a catastrophe epidemic.

The visuals of a lost, overgrown, "survival of the fittest" Manhattan were eerie but not overly frightening.

The special effects didn’t overpower the suburb acting of Will Smith. He is believable in everything he does.

In this movie he is Robert Neville a Lieutenant Colonel living in New York City, surviving nicely with his one companion (the family dog), and a few mannequins he talks to while he goes about his daily life.

He spends the day trying to find a cure, looking for other survivors through his radio broadcast where he waits at South Street Sea Port "when the sun is highest in the sky", playing golf and going into various buildings looking for usable items.

We see how he lost his family and how and everything he has seen haunts him 3 years after the fact.

The movie is scary in the fact that with Sars, West Nile, and other pandemics we have seen in the 21st century that it wouldn't be impossible to imagine the world that I am Legend depicts.


Movie Quotes worth noting:

Neville: My name is Robert Neville. I am a survivor living in New York City. I am broadcasting on all AM frequencies. I will be at the South Street Seaport everyday at mid-day, when the sun is highest in the sky. If you are out there... if anyone is out there... I can provide food, I can provide shelter, I can provide security. If there's anybody out there... anybody... please. You are not alone.

Neville: Behavioral note - an infected male exposed himself to sunlight today. Now it's possible decreased brain function or growing scarcity of food is causing them to... ignore their basic survival instincts. Social de-evolution appears complete. Typical human behavior is now entirely absent.

Neville: All right, let me tell you about your "God's plan". Six billion people on Earth when the infection hit. KV had a ninety-percent kill rate, that's five point four billion people dead. Crashed and bled out. Dead. Less than one-percent immunity. That left twelve million healthy people, like you, me, and Ethan. The other five hundred and eighty-eight million turned into your dark seekers, and then they got hungry and they killed and fed on everybody. Everybody! Every *single* person that you or I has ever known is dead! Dead! There is no god!

No comments:

SPONSOR SHOWCASE

SPONSOR SHOWCASE